this project is an extension and redesign of what was originally a 1908 two storey detached dwelling which had undergone significant reduction in 1966 to become a bungalow. history shows that in 1972 planning was then granted to use the roof space and therefore would be best described as a house within the conservation area of st.cross. the solution envelope retains the existing ridgeline but links the two parts of the roof with a single dormer surround made of high quality zinc.
this element projects cleanly from the slate roof in a simple rectangular form that expresses the patina of development clearly.
despite its contemporary additions, the style remains sensitive to its immediate surroundings, and will become a very desirable family home.